Crate training is the best way to quickly potty train your puppy. After much research and reading tons of reviews, read on for my 5 best metal dog crates recommendations.
Crates also help during evacuation, after surgery, if workmen are at your house and if your dog needs to be hospitalized.
I highly recommend that you crate train your dog just so that they are not stressed if they have to be crated for any reason.
When buying a crate you would want to buy the best metal crate for your Cavapoo that you can find.
Best Metal Dog Crate List
If you are looking for the best metal crate for your Cavapoo, then this is it.
What you will love about this crate is that it does not look like a cage.
It looks very stylish and will fit nicely into your home decor.
Here is what I like:
- It looks like a piece of furniture so you will not be embarrassed when people come to visit. It is gorgeous to look at and there is no need to hide it away.
- The metal wire panels are made from chew proof metal bars to make sure that your pup stays safe and sound and cannot escape giving you total piece of mind that they will still be there when you get back.
- This crate doubles as a side or end table saving valuable space in your home while still confining your dog. The wide top can house a lamp, magazines, remotes or whatever else your heart desires.
- It is made from quality wood and metal so it can be used for numerous dogs for years to come. It’s an investment that you’ll have for a lifetime.
- A soft comfortable pet bed is included which takes the hassle out of ordering a separate bed and risk it not fitting and needing to be returned.
- The pet bed is waterproof so even if your pup does have an accident, it will not damage the bottom of the crate. This replaces potty pads that your puppy will chew or tear up and you will need to clean up.
- You will be able to see your puppy from any side of the crate because of the well thought out design. You can keep an eye on them to make sure they are not stressed or getting themselves into trouble while chewing a toy.
- You can open the crate using only one hand. You will still be able to hold a baby or a cup of tea at the same time as opening the door for your pup.
- This metal crate has excellent ventilation from every side making sure your puppy has plenty of fresh air. This helps keep them happy and healthy.
- There are two openings to this crate. There is a double opening in the front and then a single door on one of the sides. You can change the side door to whichever side suits you. This is useful when deciding where to place the crate. It can be frustrating if the side door lands up against a wall and cannot be opened. This feature stops that from happening.
- Each door has a lockable latch giving you total piece of mind that your precious pup is safe and secure.
- It is easy to put together so don’t worry if you are not the best at DIY. All you need is a Philips Screwdriver and away you go.
- You have a choice of two colors, White or Espresso so that the crate will fit in perfectly with your present home décor.
The medium size is suitable for dogs below 40lbs with the large being ideal for dogs between 40-90lbs.
The crate dimensions are 23 x 32 x 25.7 inches and it weighs around 55 pounds.
This product is really good but it does have one flaw in that the wood itself is not chew proof but this is easily overcome by making sure your puppy has some toys to chew on instead.
It tops the charts in every other way. It looks great, it keeps your puppy safe and secure and it doubles up as furniture to save space.
If you are not so concerned about style and are more interested in functionality then the MidWest iCrate is a good choice.
- This metal crate includes a divider panel. Use the divider panel to cordon off a section of the crate when your puppy is still small. If the crate is too big then there is a chance that they will eliminate in the far corner because there is too much space. Making the space smaller stops them from doing this.
- There is a leak-proof removable pan at the bottom of the crate making it easier to clean up if your puppy does have an accident in there crate.
- It has secure slide-bolt latches with rounded corners to keep your pup securely crated. The rounded edges prevent injury to your pup if they should try and get out as there are no sharp edges for them to get caught or cut on.
- Easy to assemble as no tools are needed. Just unfold the crate and secure the corner hooks and the crate is ready for use.
- The iCrate folds down flat making it very convenient for travel and storage. There are times when you might need to travel with your dog whether it is in the case of an emergency like a natural disaster or going for a well-deserved break away.
- It comes with a Midwest quality guarantee 1 year warranty for total piece of mind.
The iCrate measures 30 length x 19 width x 21 height inches and is suitable for adult dogs between 26 and 40 pounds.
The double door iCrate has a door in the front and another door on the side and weighs about 17 pounds.
There have been some reports of people saying that there dogs managed to open the door because of the short straight latch. This can be solved by using snap clips in conjunction with the normal latch. These can be bought at any decent hardware store and will prevent your pup from escaping.
Just please check for sharp edges and if you do find some then simply file them down or cover that area with tape.
This crate does not look as nice as the Unipaws Furniture Style Metal Dog Crate but it does fulfill the function that it was made for.
If you don’t have time or are worried about buying the wrong accessories, then this metal dog crate kit solves all your problems.
- This is the perfect starter kit as everything arrives together. The crate can be fully set up with everything that your puppy needs saving you time and effort.
- Included in this kit are: 1 fully equipPed 2-door iCrate, 1 dog bed, 1 crate cover & 2 (20 Ounce) pet bowls that fix to the dog crate.
- The included pet bed is fleecy and comfortable with the added benefit of being fully machine washable and dryer safe.
- Crate covers are an ideal way to make the crate more like a den. Dogs naturally love dens as they give them a sense of safety and security. This helps puppies sleep better at night by blocking out lights and movement happening around the crate.
- The crate itself is the one I chose as option 2 so everything mentioned for that crate applies to this kit.
- The entire dog crate kit includes a 1-Year Manufacturer's Warranty on all products.
This crate is not recommended for strong or powerful breeds as they could bend the wire but this should not be a concern for Cavapoo owners as these dogs are more lovers than fighters.
If you are looking for value for money then this deal is right up your alley.
It will cost more to buy each item separately and there is always the risk of the bed not fitting in the crate if you do not order the correct size.
Take away all the hassle by buying this full kit.
The New World Single Door folding metal dog crate includes all the features your dog will need to feel safe and secure.
- Quick to assemble without needing any tools and can be folded flat for easy storage.
- The heavy duty slide-bolt latch securely locks the dog crate door in place but just like with the other crates it is advisable to also use snap clips to stop your dog from getting out.
- The crate includes a plastic leak-proof pan to catch any accidents your dog might have.
- Comes with a 1 Year Manufacturer's Warranty.
Unfortunately this crate does not come with a divider panel but it can be bought as a separate item if you would like to have one.
The crates dimensions are 30.5 x 19.25 x 21.5 inches for the medium crate and it is suitable for dogs up to 40 pounds in weight.
This metal dog crate has a single door and is perfect for small to medium sized dogs.
- The crate is constructed of all steel making it very durable.
- Includes a black removable and washable composite pan.
- Easy to assemble – just unfold it and lock the hooks into place.
- Folds flat for easy storage when not in use.
- Has a secure locking system but as with the other crates please also use snap clips.
The crate measures 30 x 19 x 21 inches and weighs around 6 pounds.
Best suited medium sized breeds and puppies, up to 45 pounds.
This is another crate that will do a more than adequate job of keeping your dog safe and secure.
Metal Dog Crate Buying Guide
Features to consider
It is best to buy a metal dog crate that will last your dog’s whole lifetime. So you need to keep your Cavapoos adult size in mind when deciding which size to buy.
Cavapoos vary greatly in size. Generally I would recommend a 30 inch metal dog crate but if your dog is on the smaller side then you can maybe get away with buying a 24 inch crate.
Go for the best quality crate you can afford. The cheaper ones are cheaper for a reason. They either use a thinner wire or are of a lower quality overall.
The better quality crates will ensure that your dog cannot get out of the crate and are generally safer for your pet.
Safety and Security
You need to know that your puppy will be safe in there crate and that no harm will come to them. Check out the sturdiness of the crate and the thickness of the metal bars.
Thin bars can be easily bent and could trap your dog’s mouth or head between them. If the crate is flimsy then there is a risk of the crate collapsing.
You will want a well-made, sturdy crate.
If you are someone that values the look of a product including functionality then go with my number one choice - Unipaws Furniture Style Metal Dog Crate
It really is a very stylish crate and is my favorite because it looks fabulous.
The normal metal dog crates look like cages and can be upsetting for people that do not understand why you crate your dog.
You need to consider whether you would like accessories like a pet bed, crate cover and bowls to be included in your crate purchase or if you would like to purchase these items separately.
A bed is needed for comfort and for your puppy to have a good night’s sleep.
Consider also buying a crate cover so that the crate becomes more like a den to your Cavapoo and lets them feel like the crate is there go to place for peace and safety.
Common Questions about Metal Dog Crates
Are metal dog crates safe?
There have been reports of dogs getting their toes or paws stuck in the folding metal dog crates but generally a metal dog crate is safe especially if your dog has been crate trained and is used to it.
Make sure you monitor your dog when they use it for the first few times to make sure they do not injure themselves trying to get out.
Also check that the hooks keeping the folding crate open are used and properly clipped in.
If you are wanting to confine a dog during the day when you are not around then I would suggest using either a playpen or to cordon off an area in the house where they will be safe.
Do dogs like metal crates?
My one dog loved his crate and would not sleep anywhere else at night. It was his place of safety. However, some dogs will not like them.
The trick is to make it a fun place for them to be in and to get them used to it. Feed them their food in the crate with the door open so they do not feel trapped.
Give them a treat in the crate and make sure they have a favorite toy to play with. Start with very short periods of time and slowly build it up.
Never ever use the crate as punishment.
Is it cruel to crate a dog at night?
No, I do not think so. It gives me peace of mind that my dog is in a safe place. It also prevents your dog from being destructive and also helps with potty training your puppy.
Are wire or plastic dog crates better?
I prefer wire crates because they tend to be bigger than plastic ones. They are also much sturdier and are not easy to tip over.
Plastic crates can tip over if your dog is frantic to get out. I prefer plastic crates for travelling or taking your pup to the Vet.
Should you cover a dog crate with a blanket?
A blanket tends to be quite heavy and does not allow air to flow through it.
Rather use a crate cover that is designed to fit snugly and is not bulky. They are made from a thinner material which also helps with letting more air into the crate.
Do not completely cover the crate. Always have one side open so that you can see your dog and for good ventilation.
What should I put in my puppy's crate at night?
With my puppies, I only had a nice bed and some toys in there crate. Do not use towels or blankets with a puppy.
They could chew them up and chock on the material. I made sure that they had water to drink before going to bed and had been outside to potty.
Should I put a pee pad in my puppy's crate?
I strongly advice against using any potty pads in the crate. The crate needs to be just big enough for a bed and nothing else. If you have a potty pad in the crate then it teaches them to eliminate indoors.
Potty training will become very difficult and take much longer than normal.
Should I wake my puppy up to pee at night?
Definitely, especially when they are younger than 4 months. Take them out at least 3 to 4 times during the night.
As they get older then reduce the amount of times until they can hold it for the whole night.
Do vets recommend crate training?
Yes, most do. Crate training a dog makes it a lot easier if your Vet needs to hospitalize them for any reason because any dog staying at a Vet needs to be crated.
It can be very stressful if your dog is not used to being crated and they bark and howl the whole time.
When should you stop using a dog crate?
This is totally up to you and your dog. As I mentioned before, my one dog would not sleep anywhere else but in his crate.
He did this right up till the day he passed away. My other dogs preferred to sleep on my bed. It is up to you if you want them on your bed or not.
I would use the crate until your puppy is fully potty trained.
After that you can leave the crate door open at night and let them decide if they want to sleep in it at night or not.
Very Important - Never leave a collar, tag or leash on your dog when it is being crated. A collar or tag could become trapped in the wire of the crate and accidently cause your dog to suffocate.
Helpful Metal Dog Crate Tips
- Potty Training – A crate makes potty training your puppy a lot easier because you can control where and when your puppy eliminates. Take them out often during the night and even wake them up if necessary.
- Destructive Behavior – Puppies chew and tear things up. They chew to alleviate pain when teething and they chew when investigating new things. Using a crate will keep your puppy away from items that could harm them with the added bonus of saving your belongings.
- Natural Disasters – Nature is unpredictable at best. If for any reason you need to evacuate then a crate becomes very handy to contain your dog in. You might end up at a friend’s house or at a shelter. Crating your dog will make sure they cannot run off and get lost during this stressful time.
- Recovery after surgery – A lot of times your Vet will recommend crate rest after surgery. This can be to help your dog heal faster or to avoid them undoing what the Vet has done. Some periods of crate rest can last for a few weeks. Recovery will go a lot easier if your dog has already been crate trained.
Wrap Up on the Best Metal Dog Crates
Some people feel guilty crate training there puppy but the truth is that many dogs see there metal dog crates as dens and find comfort and security in using them.
Crates are used in emergencies and during surgical recovery and your dog will be less stressed if they are used to being confined to a crate so please make this a part of there training.
You will not regret it!