Potty training your Cavapoo puppy is one of the first obstacles people think of when there puppy comes home.
Some puppies pick it up really quickly while others just need more time.
The absolute easiest way to potty train your Cavapoo puppy is to always be in control of where they are and what they are doing.
This way you will quickly learn the signs of when your puppy needs to go and you can then take them outside before they do it inside the house.
By doing this you will also have the added benefit of bonding with them.
If they start to circle, are restless or sniff the ground then that is a sure sign that they need to go potty. Rush them outside!
Secondly, I would definitely invest in a crate.
Dogs are den animals and as such they will see their crate as their home and place of safety with the added bonus of you knowing exactly where they are.
Always take them outside to potty before confining them.
I crate trained my dogs and it was the best thing that I did. He saw the crate as his den and would wait for me to close the door at night so that he could go to sleep.
I think that he saw it as his safe place. I did have the crate in my bedroom which helped.
Below is a very basic schedule that you can try with your Cavapoo.
As each puppy has its own unique personality, you will need to adjust this to suit yourself and their needs.
Cavapoo Puppy Potty Training Tips
- Avoid getting her excited by greeting her enthusiastically first thing in the morning, it only makes it harder for them to keep it in.
- Every times she wakes from a nap rush her outside as her first reaction will be to pee.
- During and after play – puppies get so excited, they need to go even if they do not know it yet.
- 5-30 minutes after eating – you’ll soon know if it’s 5 or 30 minutes, but until then, start with bringing them outside 5 minutes after eating and be patient.
- If nothing of the above mentioned happens, take puppy out every 45-60 minutes to give them the opportunity to relieve themselves
- Always go to the same area. The scent will make them want to go and they’ll eventually know that this is the place where they relieve themselves.
- As the last thing you do before going to bed; remember to be patient here as well, even though you just want to go to bed.
- When she needs to potty in the middle of the night, keep it silent and quick – she might think it’s time to play after having relieved themselves, but you must show her that it is not by being silent and returning her to her bed immediately afterwards.
- Encourage them to go by using the same phrase every time – go wee, go potty. They will soon associate those words with relieving themselves.
- Praise, praise and more praise when they do relieve themselves outside. Do not be too loud or over the top. They will know by the tone of your voice that you are happy with them. Use the words – good boy, good girl to show them that they did the right thing.
- Do not start to praise them while they are still busy relieving themselves. You might cause them to stop in mid pee which is not good. Only praise them straight after they have finished.
- Do not get discouraged – accidents will happen, especially in the beginning. Just be persistent and the results will come.
Very Important – Do not leave them alone outside.
Firstly, you need to see that they have relieved themselves and secondly, we live in a world where puppies are regularly stolen to be resold.
It is just not worth the risk.
The other threat can come from predators like eagles, foxes, coyotes, etc. Cavapoo puppies are so small and can easily be seen as food.
Potty Training Your Cavapoo Puppy in a High Rise Apartment
Potty training a Cavapoo puppy in a high rise apartment can seem like an enormous challenge but do not despair because it is very doable with various options.
You need to determine where your puppy will go potty and start training the minute you bring her home.
Below as some solutions that you can consider and decide which one will be the best one for your situation.
You can get disposable Pee Pads and Washable Pee Pads.
These are one of the ways your Cavapoo can relieve herself indoors. The principle is the same as if you have a garden.
Take her to the potty pads and tell her to go potty.
Make sure she is leashed so she stays on the pads. After she has done a wee on the potty pad, praise her in a calm voice.
There are however some downsides to using potty pads.
Potty pads feel soft just like a carpet.
She might confuse the two and decide to go potty on your nice carpet instead.
Most disposable potty pads are not biodegradable and can quickly build up into lots of waste that you will need to get rid of.
Also, if your puppy becomes used to using potty pads then she might not want to go potty on grass as the texture and smell is so different.
You will not be able to use these pads on a balcony as they can be blown away with the wind.
Artificial Grass Potty Tray
This is a better option as your Cavapoo learns to wee on grass, even if it is artificial.
Grass puppy mats are readily available online.
These artificial grass pads have an odor resistant, antimicrobial mat that sits on top of a plastic insert.
This allows liquid to drain into the durable collection tray.
Cleaning the potty mat is fast and easy. Just rinse the mat with soapy water!
You can also place a puppy pad immediately below the grass to catch the wee and replace it every day if needed.
These mats can be used on a patio or balcony.
Disposable doggie lawn with real grass
This is also a good option.
It is real grass so it can absorb the wee better than artificial grass can. It also does not smell.
The grass is supplied in a wax lined cardboard box. Just remove the lid and it is instantly ready for use.
It is entirely disposable so there is no mess involved and can last for two to three weeks before it needs to be replaced.
The grass does need occasional watering. Because it is real grass then it will be natural for your dog to go potty outside if and when they can.
This product is the absolute best option available.
Because the product is made from real bark, your puppy will not be confused and think your carpet feels like a pee pad.
The bark fibers repel moisture encouraging evaporation so the Bark Potty lasts for weeks.
The bark also gives off a natural smell which attracts your dog and makes training very easy.
If you have access to a secure outside garden then potty training is just a case of being consistent and patient.
Your pup will eventually click. Some puppies just take longer than others.
Living in an apartment should not disqualify you from owning a dog.
It does take a little more work if you do not have direct access to a garden but potty training is still very possible.
Decide before you get your Cavapoo puppy on which option noted above would suit you the best and stick with it.
Introduce your new puppy immediately to her potty area and praise them in a low calm voice once the deed has been done.
Make sure that you clean any accidents with an enzymatic cleaner to remove all trace of the urine.
Make sure you have poo bags, paper towels and old rags available to clean up any messes.
Finally, enjoy your new puppy!
You can also make use of dog potty training bells to help with potty training.